THE MYTHS OF LIFE

I have just read a book by Clare Mann, " The Myths of life and the choices we have" which has given me a lot of food for thought.

By "MYTHS" Clare means the big assumptions in life which we accept and do not question. Here are the eight myths:

1.IDENTITY MYTH- You should be someone other than the person who you want to be.

2.SELFISHNESS - You are selfish if you put your needs before those of others.

3.GROUP MYTH -It is better to be part of a group than to be an individual.

4.COMMITMENT -You cannot change certain things in your life once you have committed to them.eg marriage and career.

5.CERTAINTY You can reach a point whereby you can be certain for all times in the rightness of your decisions.

6.MORALITY You should follow a moral code decreed by others.

7.DISHONESTY It is preferable to be discreet and embroider the truth than to be honest.

8.CHANGE. You are fixed and consistent and earlier changes negate future change.



Each of these assumptions impinge on our everyday lives and limit our choices.

The two central themes underlying these myths are FREEDOM and CHOICE and are based on existential philosophy.

In the book, Clare, looks at each myth in detail and asks relevant questions in order to test these assumptions, and there are practical exercises which one can do.

1 Responses to “THE MYTHS OF LIFE”

  1. # Blogger Sherry L. Read

    Anna,

    I’ve been updating my ICA blogroll and checking on links. Thanks for blogrolling me - can I ask you if you would update the link to www.readsolutionsgroup.com - I have my blog at the top level of my website now. I would have sent you an email, rather than leave this as a comment, but your "email me" tab didn't work.

    Hope your running is going well!

    Sherry  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Long Distance Coach | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health