Self -soothing techniques

Todays class with Angela, after some of us had shared our peer coaching experiences, took an unexpected and very welcome turn for me. Somebody mentioned crying in a coaching session and from then on the rest of the session explored the meaning of "crying". I found out that some of us cry very easily and at anything, we are not looking for attention, and want to be left alone. Some of us feel uneasy in the presence of a crying client, while some will allow the client space to cry, and not get involved.

Crying, in itself can be seen as a healing technique. It is often used by children. They hurt themselves, they cry, they feel better. The best thing a parent can do is to allow the child to cry and thus learn to soothe themselves, without resorting to other people and things eg. food to "heal" them.

Self- soothing techniques are very important, by applying them, one is able to take care of oneself any place, any time.

Some of the techniques we mentioned, apart from crying, are: Laughing, Withdrawing, Sulking, Eating and as nobody else had mentioned exercise, I thought I had better mention it.

How do I self-soothe? Well, I cry, and I run, and sometimes I combine the two. Now while I have been doing this for years, and without fail, feel that the world is a better place afterwards, I have never thought of it as a "healing technique" Thank you, Angela!

I would like to invite you to reflect on the questions below:

Do you self-soothe? or do you need someone else to make things better?

How do you self-soothe?

Is that the best way? or is there a better way?

2 Responses to “Self -soothing techniques”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I am a recovered alcoholic and since alcohol and drugs what was I always turned to, to soothe myself from unpleasant emotions, I had to learn some new self soothing techniques to stay sober.

    I journal, use visualizations and self-talk, pray for serenity and for those feelings to be removed, put on music loud, go for a walk,talk to someone if they are available and just breathe. Depending on the severity of the emotion I do them all until one works.

    Hope this helps  

  2. # Blogger Anna T.

    thank you for sharing and well done on leaving alcohol and drugs behind and looking for other ways to soothe yourself from unpleasant emotions!!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Long Distance Coach | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health